I’ve already recommended The Trellis and the Vine heartily. It’s actually so good, I’m reading through it again, taking notes this time. Here are 11 Ministry Mind-Shifts that the book argues we need to make along with a selection of quotations.
We must shift:
1. From Running Programs to Building People.
2. From Running Events to Training People.
3. From Using People to Growing People.
“Service flows from Christian growth and not growth from service” (20).
4. From Filling Gaps to Training New Workers
5. From Solving Problems to Helping People Make Progress
“If you are mostly reacting to people’s problems, you won’t have the energy to put into proactive training and growing new works” (22).
6. From Clinging to Ordained Ministry to Developing Team Leadership
7. From Focusing on Church Polity to Forging Ministry Partnerships
8. From Relying on Training Institutions to Establishing Local Training
9. From Focusing on Immediate Pressures to Aiming for Long Term Expansion
“We are easily consumed by keeping ministry programs running. The urgent crowds out the important, and everyone thinks that their agenda should be dealt with first” (25).
10. From Engaging in Management to Engaging in Ministry
11. From Seeking Church Growth to Desiring Gospel Growth
“We must be exporters of trained people instead of hoarders of trained people” (25).